Dan Ness, Principal Analyst, MetaFacts, October 27, 2021
Apple and Android purchase plans by country
- Globally, slightly more adults plan to buy an iPhone as plan to buy an Android smartphone
- 19% of global adults plan to buy an iPhone in the next 12 months, while 16% have similar plans for an Android smartphone
- Apple leads in the US with 20% having iPhone purchase plans compared to 14% for Android smartphones
- In Japan, the gap is narrowly tilted towards Apple among the small share with brand-specific plans
Apple and Android purchase plans by age group
- A higher share of younger adults plan to buy an iPhone than an Android smartphone
- Globally, adults age 18-34 prefer Apple iPhones and those 35 and over prefer Android smartphones
- The plans gap between iPhones and Android smartphones is 1% or less among adults 35 and older
- More adults of all ages plan to buy an iPad over an Android tablet
Apple and Android purchase plans among Americans by age
- More online Americans of all ages plan to buy an Apple iPhone than plan to buy an Android smartphone
- The iPhone/Android gap is measurable among all age groups, except among 50+ where the difference is only 1%
- The age gap is especially prominent among younger adults – age 18-24
- Plans for tablets are dominated by Apple iPads
MetaFAQs are answers to frequently asked questions about technology users. The research results showcase the TUP/Technology User Profile study, MetaFacts’ survey of a representative sample of online adults profiling the full market’s use of technology products and services. The current wave of TUP is TUP/Technology User Profile 2021, which is TUP’s 39th annual.
Current subscribers may use the comprehensive TUP datasets to obtain even more results or tailor these results to fit their chosen segments, services, or products. As subscribers choose, they may use the TUP inquiry service, online interactive tools, or analysis previously published by MetaFacts.
On request, interested research professionals can receive complimentary updates through our periodic newsletter. These include MetaFAQs – brief answers to frequently asked questions about technology users – or TUPdates – analysis of current and essential technology industry topics. To subscribe, contact MetaFacts.
Lenses: Technology Ecosystems, Devices, Mobile Phones, PCs, Tablets
Tables: 810 PLANxCOUNTRY, 810 PLANxAGE4
Tags: Technology ecosystems, Ecosystems, Operating systems, Windows, Microsoft Windows, Apple iOS, iOS, MacOS, Apple Mac, Mac, Macintosh, Market penetration, Smartphones, PCs, Tablets, Mobile phones, Purchase plans