Dan Ness, Principal Analyst, MetaFacts, September 22, 2021
OS penetration by country
- Windows penetration leads Apple and Google in every country surveyed
- Primarily driven by the use of Windows PCs
- In Germany, Google/Android penetration is much higher than Apple and highest among the countries surveyed
- In the US and UK, Apple’s penetration is near to the penetration of Windows
- In Germany, Japan, and China, Microsoft Windows dominates
OS penetration among Americans by age group
- Windows has its highest market penetration among American adults aged 25 and higher
- Primarily driven by Windows PCs
- Among Americans aged 18-24, almost two out of three (65%) use at least one Apple OS device – iPhone, iPad, or Mac
- Primarily driven by smartphones
- Apple dominates Google Android for every age group
MetaFAQs are answers to frequently asked questions about technology users. The research results showcase the TUP/Technology User Profile study, MetaFacts’ survey of a representative sample of online adults profiling the full market’s use of technology products and services. The current wave of TUP is TUP/Technology User Profile 2021, which is TUP’s 39th annual.
Current subscribers may use the comprehensive TUP datasets to obtain even more results or tailor these results to fit their chosen segments, services, or products. As subscribers choose, they may use the TUP inquiry service, online interactive tools, or analysis previously published by MetaFacts.
On request, interested research professionals can receive complimentary updates through our periodic newsletter. These include MetaFAQs – brief answers to frequently asked questions about technology users – or TUPdates – analysis of current and essential technology industry topics. To subscribe, contact MetaFacts.
Lenses: Technology Ecosystems, PCs, Mobile Phones
Tables: 270 DEVxAGE4
Tags: Technology ecosystems, Ecosystems, Operating systems, Windows, Microsoft Windows, Apple iOS, iOS, MacOS, Apple Mac, Mac, Macintosh, Market penetration, Smartphones, PCs, TabletsTUP_doc_2021_0922_pene-of-key-tech-ecos-2021_1101_1157